Friday, June 29, 2012

Chocolate Obsession

So last night I dreamed that I was stuffing my face full of chocolate. Literally shoving candy bar after candy bar down my throat. When I woke up, I asked myself what this dream could possibly mean. And then it hit me: THAT I AM TOTALLY DEPRIVED OF THE MOST WONDERFUL FOOD IN EXISTENCE. I thought for sure that once Sam came into the world, all of my diabetic woes would be gone and I could go back to indulging in my favorite things (namely chocolate). Boy was I wrong. My sweet, adorable, cuddly, genius baby is colic. COLIC. You might think that the whole no sleep, fussy baby thing would be the worst part of it. But no. It's the fact that eating chocolate makes him fussy that's hard. Because as much as I love chocolate, I do love my baby more, and seeing him in agony with a belly ache that I caused is just too much to bear. So alas, chocolate and I have once again gone our separate ways.

For now.

In the meantime, I figured if I can't eat it, I might as well blog about it. For your salivating pleasure, here are yours truly's top 11 favorite chocolatey delights (I tried to limit it to 10, but it was impossible):

11. Hot Fudge. Especially the stuff at Sugar and Spice in the Cougar Eat at BYU. Guaranteed to make almost anything taste better. Even Bacon.


10. Chocolate Covered Cinnamon Bears. I admit, when my friend first brought me some of these back in my sophomore (maybe junior?) year of college, I was a bit skeptical. Since then I have repented by buying chocolate covered cinnamon bears almost every time I step into the BYU Bookstore. These things kept me sane many a night on the first floor of the Harold B. Lee Library.

9. Toffee & Almond Hershey's Nuggets. These little bite sized treasures pack a punch. Maybe I love them so much because I'm usually eating them in the third hour of church when I'm starving and tired. Or maybe just because they're amazing.

8. Anything from Sees Candy. It's just that good. 

7. Dove Candy Bars. I remember the first time my grandpa brought me one of these. I had never had a chocolate candy bar that was so creamy in my life. It was definitely an awakening.
6. Symphony Candy Bars. Especially the ones with toffee and almonds, you know, with the blue wrapper. 



5. My Dad's Christmas fudge. I know everyone says their fudge recipe is the best, but this one really is. It's just rich enough to be satisfying, but not so rich that you can't eat a whole pan in one sitting. Love it.





4. Thin Mint Cookies. Do I really need to say more? I'm sure glad no girl scouts come to my house because now that I'm the adult in charge of ordering the cookies, I'm not sure I could hold back. (For added pleasure, try Thin Mints chocolate ice cream by Dreyers. Amazing.)


3. Any chocolate cake/cupcake. I am definitely guilty of loving the cake more than the icing. I just love chocolate cake. Like really love it. I love how it's just sweet enough but not too sweet to make you sick. Yep, chocolate cake with chocolate icing and rocky road ice cream. Pure heaven that I consumed every birthday growing up for as far back as I can remember.


2. Baskin Robbins' Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream. This stuff is amazing. Except it burns when it comes out your nose. But that's a story for another day...


1. The number one most amazing chocolate ever is Cadbury Mini Eggs. I'm not sure whether these are number one in my mind because they're seasonal and therefore the anticipation of them makes them even yummier, or if it's because they really are the best. Either way, they're delicious and I highly recommend buying several bags around Easter time and hoarding them for a rainy day.


So, there you have it. My top 11. If I've left any out, please feel free to add them in my comments. And if by chance any of these descriptions have made you hungry for chocolate, have some for me. Tell yourself your doing it for an old friend in need. That way you don't have to feel guilty.

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, reading this sure made me crave some chocolate! I too have given up chocolate (for a totally unrelated reason) so I feel the pain! I also feel compelled to add an *at the chocolate cake and cupcake section for 2 things 1. Nothing Bundt Cakes, a cake store in las Vegas that sells you guessed it bundt cakes,chocolate bundt cake oh its moist and dense just as a chocolate cake should be and 2. A chocolate cupcake recipe that I stumbled upon. Seriously the best chocolate cupcakes I have EVER eaten. So good to identify with any chocoholic and love reading every blog entry you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, reading this sure made me crave some chocolate! I too have given up chocolate (for a totally unrelated reason) so I feel the pain! I also feel compelled to add an *at the chocolate cake and cupcake section for 2 things 1. Nothing Bundt Cakes, a cake store in las Vegas that sells you guessed it bundt cakes,chocolate bundt cake oh its moist and dense just as a chocolate cake should be and 2. A chocolate cupcake recipe that I stumbled upon. Seriously the best chocolate cupcakes I have EVER eaten. So good to identify with any chocoholic and love reading every blog entry you post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Jo, you crack me up. I would definitely add red velvet cupcakes from So Cupcake in SLC. Seriously delish. Congrats again on your little Samuel! Sorry about the colic though. It won't last forever. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little ashamed that I didn't know you loved chocolate so much. I hope your baby gets better soon so you can get some chocolate! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krissy, I'm not sure I knew I liked chocolate so much until I couldn't eat it for months on end!It's a lesson in self control for sure! Miss you and hope you're well!

      Delete
  5. Oh I feel for you- it must have been so hard to be pregnant and give up chocolate but to do it afterwards as well must be even harder! I should really send you some chocolate from Ireland when you can get it again! (the cadbury eggs are year round here...and a cadbury dairy milk bar? puts dove to shame!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally forgot about that day at Baskin Robins!!!! The whole ice cream incident, nose, yea......hahahahahahahaha. I am so glad I was there to witness it! Love your pics from the blessing post too. :) --Des

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. Talk about embarrassing! One of those moments I will definitely never forget!!

      Delete