Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Milestone

After much anticipation, Baby Samuel is finally here! Last Tuesday at midnight, Blaze and I headed for the hospital to begin the induction.

 Heading Out!

 39 Weeks

At midnight they started me on antibiotics because I had tested positive for GBS. Don't ask me how, but Blaze and I managed to catch a little shut eye after that for a few hours. Then at 7:00 the next morning they started me on the pitocin. All the while I was having pretty regular contractions, but the pitocin definitely stepped it up a notch! I was so glad when the anesthesiologist came in at 8:30! I have to admit that the epidural scared me almost more than the labor, but it was not nearly as bad as I expected--and the results were well worth it! After that all we had to do was wait. 

Around 2:00 pm the pushing fun began. Unfortunately, Sam was face up, so his little heart didn't react well to the stress of labor. To make it easier on him, we pushed in increments: 30 minutes pushing, 30 minute break. We did that twice, until the doctor came and said we didn't have a choice, we needed him out now. 45 minutes later, after a couple of tries with the suction (no luck thanks to all his hair!) and some hard work on all of our parts, there he was! At the last minute he turned and did come face down. Blaze was, and still is, a total angel. He helped me through the whole thing. Although it was a rough go and I am still recovering (I think they need an epidural for after the delivery!), it was all so worth it.

Born at 5:10 pm on April 25, 2012. 7 lbs. 6 oz. and 20 in. long

Proud parents right after delivery 

 Our little bundle of joy. I think he's smiling :)

His first outfit! Getting ready to go home. 

Our little family 

With Grandma just a couple hours after delivery 

The proud daddy!

Samuel with his great grandparents and great great grandmother 

The last week has been one of the longest, most wonderful, most emotional weeks of my life. I don't think I've ever experienced so many emotions all in one day. The weirdest of all is that in some ways I miss being pregnant. Not that I would go back for anything, but it's almost like the day after Christmas. After months and months of anticipation--listening to the heartbeat, seeing the ultrasounds, wondering if you're ready, looking over and over again at precious little baby clothes--it's over.  He's here and he's perfect and I love him and I wouldn't trade that for anything, but a milestone is over. My first pregnancy. And now a new milestone has begun, an even greater milestone--the raising up of a righteous generation. But, for now, while he's still so innocent, I refuse to get overwhelmed by that milestone. I am content being completely and utterly in love with my little boy every time I walk in and he's sound asleep with his legs pulled up in the fetal position, or one leg is sticking straight out, or he's sucking in his bottom lip, or doing any of those other insanely adorable things that babies do. For now, I don't have to discipline, I don't have to worry about who his friends are or how he's spending his time. For now, he's all mine, and I just get to love him. 

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to you and your husband! He is a beautiful baby boy and I'm glad mom is doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were the best looking 39-week (or any week!) pregnant woman I've ever seen!! Samuel is precious and we're so happy for you. The emotional roller coaster will continue...forever...but it's all worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily CornelisonMay 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM

    He has SO MUCH HAIR!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! He's perfect! Im glad that you are all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! So happy for you guys! Your delivery experience was a LOT like my first one. Justin was born at 39 weeks, weighed the same, we did the whole suction thing, it was really pretty traumatic birth/recovery. Your next birth will be so much easier! I also had a little bitter sweet feelings with not being pregnant too. But my first one was bald! Enjoy your little guy! I know you will! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Jo! I think you summed up the emotions of a new mother so well. I totally understand what you mean about the anticipation of it all--it seems to take so long for him to arrive and then the time just starts to fly once he's born. It is always a bit sad for me when I pack away their tiny clothes as they outgrow them, and I know they will never wear them again. But they do so many cute things as they grow that it is worth it. I know you will be a wonderful mommy to little Samuel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay!! really happy you could have a pleasant delivery... sorry to hear about the recovery bit though. subarashii okaasan ni naru hazu :) have fun in the moments while they last. Ai shiteru yo!

    ~dong chan

    ReplyDelete