Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fall

Well, it's officially fall. I love fall--especially here. Lund just resonates with fall-ish ambiance. Picture wood-sided farm houses surrounded by big,country trees, family gardens full of round orange pumpkins, and well-attended high school football games. If that's not the meaning of fall, I don't know what is. But, I think what makes it feel most like fall is the crisp, clean air. It sweeps across our little town and wraps us snugly in a pumpkin-scented, rosy-cheeked atmosphere. There is nothing like bundling up in a polar fleece jacket and eating pumpkin chocolate chip cookies in air like that.


Yes, these are all reasons why I love fall in Lund. But, there's another more sinister reason for my merry-making at this time of year: the demise of a much-loathed hoard of bugs that seems to follow me wherever I go in the summer. Unfortunately, during the hotter months here in Lund, our lovely wood-sided farm houses are ambushed by masses of rather large, almost Amazon-like bugs. OK, truth be told, most of the ambushes are carried out by regular sized insects; but, it would not be an exaggeration to say I have seen moths with a six-inch wingspan, butterflies the size of my hand, and wasps two and a half inches in length! Seriously? Seriously. I've asked myself many a time what the purpose of such bugs could be. But, whenever I reach that point I try to remind myself that someone much wiser than I created them and hence must have had a purpose for doing so. Then, as a good country woman ought, I grit my teeth and resign myself to their unsightly exteriors and unwitting provocations. And, as a good city girl ought, I spray lots and lots of bug repellent. All in all, though, I suppose I'm grateful for the six-legged creatures of the world. I mean, without them, how would I know to appreciate fall so much?



2 comments:

  1. Reading this makes me miss Lund. Good thing we are visiting here soon. Fall time is a great time of year. Ben and I went through the canyon on Sunday to see all of the colors. So beautiful. Can't wait to see you all again. Love the pic. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna! You are such a cute cowgirl! I love that you love Lund! I'm glad you're happy there and enjoying new experiences (despite the bugs. ugh. bleh. Yep.) Mmmmm Halloween is coming... :)

    ReplyDelete